ROW80 2019 – Round 3 – Check-in 15
Right before checking in last Sunday, my PC gave me a blue screen instead of getting out of sleep mode, so I decided it was high time to do back-ups. Turns out I hadn’t done that in a while, with all the moving and unpacking and houseworks…
First step is uploading things to the cloud, then I’ll also make extra copies on a harddrive (as soon as I find it… but I’m supposed to clean and tidy my office so that should help).
Of course some things were saved more regularly, especially when it comes to writing. Funny enough, the work stuff was left out more… What does that say about me? XD
How about you? What makes you realize it’s time to massively back up? Let me know in the comments (please bear with the error message, I do get and approve the comments on my dashboard.). I hope you’re well, wherever you are. ^^
Over 60%, I use various shades of green, 100% being this flashy green.
Purple is for projects that are currently on hiatus: dark purple means there’s still a lot to do while mauve is for projects that are well advanced.
Finally royal blue is for comments on my progress since I last checked in. And sky blue is for stating my objective for the round within each goal at the beginning of each Round, then to assess my overall progress at the end.
Also, by the end of each round, I’ll give myself a PASS or a FAIL for each goal.
I hope you’ll enjoy these rainbow posts. 😉
Writing goals (fiction)
- #52haikus2019 challenge: I will continue to post one haiku a week on social networks.
This week’s haiku was posted this morning.
- Writing my first novel: I will write on a daily basis, aiming at finishing the first draft this summer, ideally by mid-August. I’m aiming at some 100-120K words but I might readjust this as I go.
I’m almost there and hoping to wrap up tomorrow. =)
– finish first draft 95,349/100,000 words (95%)
– revise first chapters to make a clear chronology: 13/13 chapters (100% – completed July 23)
– revise first draft (grammar/spelling/global layout)
– edit first draft (coherence check/cuts/improvements)
– improve the cover.
- New novella or short story for submission: I will plan the elements of the story to start writing during Round 4. I’m thinking more and more I will not submit, though I’m thankful for the inspiration. I don’t feel like working under the pressure of a deadline. If I meet it all the same, we’ll see…
– finish planning: 100% (Completed July 30)
– start writing: I will do this only when I’m done with the first draft of the novel. As I also prefer taking a break between two first drafts, we’re probably talking about mid-September now.
- Little Black Riding Hood (LBRH): on hiatus but I hope to start writing this again next round. Depending on how well I do with the other goals, I will reread the beginning to get reacquainted with the plot and start writing again this round or next round.
– Write the intro: I decided to actually do that after the story is written. 20%
– Finish writing: 30/105 chapters (29%)
– Reread and edit: 0/105 chapters (0%)
– Send to beta-readers: 1/15 (7%)
– Get their feedback and use it. 1/30 (3%)
– Prepare the ebook for self-publishing (80%)
– Work on the cover design: 15%
– Plan the marketing
– Make a book trailer
– Publish it!
– Market the book.
Writing Goals (work-related) (Unpausing these one at a time)
- Story Time series (teaching guides): I will continue working on RWBY and Bat & Friends regularly, aiming at finishing module 1 of RWBY this Round.
* Goldilocks: on hiatus till I’m done with RWBY (season 1) and Bat & Friends.
– review and edit the guide: 6/15 parts (27%)
– compile the worksheets separately: 40/71 (56%)
– compile the games separately: 6/20 (30%)
– publish the flashcards, games (2 collections) and worksheets : 0/4 (0%)
– publish the guide on Kindle (and maybe other platforms?)
– submit it too
* Bat and Friends: ON HOLD.
– make grammar & vocabulary worksheets (2 per episode) 52/144 (36%)
– adapt the mini-books: 26/72 (36%)
– make tests 0/18 (0%)
– write the lesson plans. 11/72 episodes (15%)
– review and edit the guide. (0%)
– publish on Kindle. (0%)
* RWBY: UNPAUSED. Nothing big but as I’m saving, I started preparing the upload space.
– make answer sheets: 5/23 (22%)
– create the online environment once I’m done with the worksheets. I decided this was more urgent than the guide as I use it with students who could benefit from having the material online. This goal will have several sub-tasks. Here are the first ones:
~ Create the folders for each lesson on the drive: 24/24 (100% – completed August 20)
~ Create the content maps and upload them: 0/24 (0%)
~ Make audio/video intros/guides and upload them; I actualy need to make a French version too, in case some students need them: 0/48 (0%)
~ Upload the worksheets: 0/23 (0%)
~ Upload the answer sheets: 0/23 (0%)
~ Make and upload the learning guides: 0/24 (0%)
– write the teaching guide: 0/24 (0%)
- Japanese coursebooks: I will work on at least one lesson a week.
Hanashimashou: Still holding on lesson 37. As I’ll soon be working on this again, I’ll add some goals for later (this is going to be a really looong-term goal!)
– correct and revise lessons. (36/90) 40%
– make vocabulary sheets (36/90) 40%
– make review sessions: (4.5/12) 37.5%
– make oral evaluations: (4.5/12) 37.5%
– create content maps for each lesson in module 2 : 6/30 (20%)
– create content maps for each lesson in module 3 : 0/30 (0%)
– make ppt for the classes (36/90) 40%
– make grammar and communication worksheets (36/90) 40%
– add extra university-oriented activities for students: 0/48 (0%)
– add extra workplace-oriented activities: 0/50 (0%)
– add extra video activities: 0/100 (0%)
– Use Conquering the Content to turn module 1 into an online course: I’ll just evaluate this in term of how far I’ve got into the ebook: 143/221 (65%)
- Poetry collection (publishing goal 4/6 for 2019): I will complete that goal in July.
I’ll still market the book but that goal is completed. =)
– Publish the illustrated excerpts: 23/23 (100% – completed July 24)
– make an e-press release: Done! (100% – completed June 29)
- Everyday Haikus (Publishing goal 5/6 for 2019): I will prepare the e-book and e-press release in August or September to be ready to release at the start of Round 4. I think I’ll keep this goal for August, when I’m done with the previous one. ^^ Nothing as I’m focusing on saving what’s on the PC, including the files for my books.
– upload the ebook: 100% (completed August 19)
– upload paperback file
– share the extracts: 1/6 (17%)
– make an e-press release: planned in September
– publish (on October 6)
- Cruel Fairy Tales – second, enriched edition (publishing goal 6/6 for 2019): I will try to get my beta-readers to finish their part this summer; I will also try to get the illustrations from the artist ASAP. Once that’s done, I’ll redefine my objectives. Tomorrow is the start of the new schedule with beta-reader #1 so there should be some news soon.
– Send to beta-readers: 26/42 (62%)
– Use beta-readers’ feedback: 22/42 (52%)
– Reorganize the collection: The beta-reading process is helping and I think I’ve got the order I want, but I’ll still discuss it with my beta-readers nce they’re done reading the content. (80%)
– Include more illustrations: 13/13 chosen, 13/13 turned into covers and inserted (100%) Goal completed on July 16.
– Publish second edition planned for December 1st
– Also publish an on-demand paper version: I decided to print two versions of books with illustrations from now on – 1 in color (a deluxe version if you will), 1 in black&white, because the color version is usually too expensive to my taste. I will do so for my other books, as soon as I figure how to link the color and black&white versions together on KDP.
– Plan the marketing: besides publishing extracts on social networks, I’ll get in touch with blogs and so on to talk about the book in the coming months. Which means I also need to:
~ Make an e-press release
~ Improve the back cover text
~ Update the website page
~ Contact the book bloggers who might be interested: 1 already.
~ Share the content’s sneakpeaks 0/13 (0%)
~ Share extracts through December as an Advent Calendar 0/25 (0%)
~ Compile the illustrated extracts on the blog
~ Make a book trailer
~ Market 2nd edition
- House renovation & redesign: We will try planning with all the contractors before August.
x Get new windows. Planned for September due to bank delays…
x Keep working on the parental suite upstairs (ceiling, walls, floor and adding the bathroom). Some work done on Monday and some more planned next Monday.
x Get started on the plumbing work (to install new toilets and a new sink which implies a lot of digging and connecting too).
x Add walls and a door to the new toilets. To be planned...
x Redirect some pipes before the window guy comes. Discussed on Monday.
- Unpacking & declustering: I will try and spend more time cleaning and declustering during the summer.
Here my short-term goals are:
x to clean and organize my office so that I feel better and more efficient when I work in it. The cleaning is almost (just hoovering left) done and the organizing is on its way.
x to go Mari Kondo with my clothes and finally sort all this fabric! I finally did some sorting! Now these bags and boxes are ready, we need to get them out of the house! Baby clothes we are giving to one of Hubby’s coworker are waiting for her to drop by. The bags we donate just need us to get t the donation center which is so close it’s ridiculous we haven’t been there yet… As for the boxes of things we keep, it will take some time as the third floor is not open for business as it is. We’ll just keep them as much out of the way as we can for now.
Anything else will have to wait until we’ve done more work in the house.
- Health quest: Forget about Cindy Crawford, I’ll just try soft abs for diastasis recti on a daily basis while waiting for surgery (though I first need to confirm this with the doctor this month…). The headaches are receding, so that’s good. Apart from that, the treatment seems efficient.
– Work on fixing the diastasis recti better (daily). I set this aside.
- Mental health quest: I feel more balanced so I’ll just keep track of possible downs and why I think they happen here.
Still feeling a bit unbalanced and dreading going back to work and its complications…